My method is very winging it style with no exact science, but figured I would share on my Tumblr since I already typed it all out for a friend
- I get about 2 yards of fabric to make pleats 1 1/2 in. and my waist is 35 in or so and it’s too big for me, so figure out what you have. Making it bigger is easier imo in the long run
- I measure up from the fold the length I want for the skirt (minus the 2 in or so for the waist band) so I don’t have to hem anything to make the bottom pretty
- cut that bitch to that length you figured out
- Iron that bitch out flaaat.
- Sit there and make the damn pleats. Get something to measure. It’s best to go one pleat at a time to make sure they’re super even. I measure 1 1/2 in and then pin it, then measure another 1 1/2 and pin it. Fold the fabric so the pins line up. You should have 1 1/2 in of fabric on top of 1 1/2 in of fabric! Hey first pleat!
- Iron it like crazy
- Pin the bottom of the pleat and the bottom of the pleat to keep it in place
- Repeat 5-7 until you have all your pleats
- Baste stitch along the top to keep the pleats in place.
- I like to stitch the inside pleats to help keep the shape (pic 1. The top layer is what it looks like on the outside, bottom layer what it looks like on the inside with the stitches along the inside of the pleats)
- Another helpful thing to keep the shape of the pleats is to top stitch an inch or two down the pleat at the waist (pic 2 & 3) If you did both 10 & 11 the inside should look like the unnumbered picture in the inside of the skirt (minus waist band and all so far)
- Since I didn’t have any science to the size and stuff, I figured out the actual size of the skirt that it needs to be to fit me. It works best to hide your seam and zipper if you can find a meeting of two pleats that fits your waist
- I cut the inside of the pleat to make the seam so it hides and put the zipper in there and since I cut the inside of the pleat, hey the top pleat is still there and hides it! (pic 4 & 5)
- do yo waist band
- eeeeeeey knife pleat skirt!
***OH YEAH IRON ALL THE DAMN TIME. Like after every step just iron just iron everything and when you’re done starch it and iron it more just iron the hell out of it without burning it and all
Due to Popular request I’ve finally got around to making the tutorial for how we made the open front petticoats for Goddess Madoka and Walpurgisnacht. Now, before I get into the details about the making process let me give you a little behind the scenes; When I first set about to making the pair of costumes I had no idea how to do the open front, nor had I seen any tutorials online on how to do this except from making your own cage, which I didn’t have the ability to do in our house. So- The process I used was one based on trial and error; Madoka’s petticoat was the one I made first, and Walpurgis’ was the one I made for the tutorial.
Now! On to the Tutorial! You can find the details under the cut—-
Difficulty Rating: ★★ - Basic techniques that can be perfected over time
I scaled the spear to my height, which is 5’5”, so in total my spear is over 9’. Here’s a tutorial on how to do that! As for patterning the actual spearhead, I traced out the pattern on poster board then transferred those designs to the MDF, cut them out, and glued ‘em together. You can see progress photos in my Kyoko tag.
The bolt is a little difficult to describe but you can see photos of that in the tag, too. Basically the bolt sticks out of the bottom of the spearhead and screws into the top section of PVC, which has corresponding threading. I’m sorry if that doesn’t make sense; my spear isn’t with me at school so I can’t take photos of the inner construction. If it helps, you can see me putting the spear together in my Saturday Katsucon video!
1. Survive the rest of my semester and graduate
2. Drag self to ColossalCon
3. Collapse in hot tub
4. Allow self to be pulled out of hot tub and thrown into a costume
5. Return immediately to hot tub at first opportunity
shingeki no bathtub. sanitation’s greatest hope
scrubbin’ titans all day errday
Sock glue! It’ll be your new best friend for unattached sleeves, thigh-highs, and boot covers!
Yep! My Viera ears had a headband base underneath the wig, plus they also were built around a craft foam template and had a thick gauge wire running through them, too. Here’s a diagram, hopefully it makes sense!
And the end result: